Thursday, October 23, 2008

A little bit more about me...

Well, I currently work for the Victorian Department of Justice in theProblem Gambling area. Previously, I've worked for the Victims Support Agency and the Department of Premier and Cabinet. I've also worked in private enterprise and community agencies.

For me its not just enough to work for an organisation - you have to believe in what that organisation is doing. Which is why I've been proud to work with Victims of Crime, helping to make the criminal justice system more accountable. I am also proud to work in an area which can have a direct impact on individuals and their families. Helping people for whom gambling has become a problem.

During my time, I've run into people who are dedicated to helping others. Whether it is local police, public servants, social workers and yes, even politicians - there are many people out there doing their best to make a better world for others. The role of a councillor is that of a communicator - someone who listens to people and to what is being said more broadly and represents those views back to council.

Which is why, if elected, I will advertise for people who are concerned for what is happening in their community, and would like to have more of say and an understanding on how decisions are made. It is essential that these people aren't just those who voted for, or agree with the councillor. A representative must be challenged by his - or her - constituents.

No comments: